PROGRAMS & SERVICES
A. CAPACITY BUILDING
- Development of the Councillors training manual
- Preparing a Councillors training programme strategy
- Piloting citizen participation project in Balaka District Assembly
- Open space technology programme and citizen participation
- Preparing capacity development programme with MLGRD
- Facilitating workshops on urban governance and development planning for local assemblies
- Facilitating the development of a toolkit on awareness raising on resource mobilization in local assemblies
B) RESEARCH AND INFORMATION
- Promoting good governance through advocacy Programmes such as TV and radio programmes on the need of Local Elected Councilors, women participation in decision making position at local and national level.
- Facilitating and coordinating partnerships for members on the local and international scene (i.e. Assembly sister partnership e.g. Nkhota-kota District Assembly, Malawi and Flora Municipal Assembly of Norway.
- Networking with local and international local government partners for best practice and information sharing.
- Presenting relevant information about local Assemblies through MALGA Newsletter, radio, and electronic media.
- Cooperating with other stakeholders in action research, training and advocacy in local governance issues such as:
* The Malawi – German programme for democracy and decentralization (MGPDD).
* The National Initiative for Civic education (NICE)
* Malawi Economic Justice Network (MEJN)
* Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR)
* Pan African Civic Educators Network (PACENET)
C) AMICAALL POGRAMME
AMICAALL Malawi chapter is an initiative of Malawi Local Government Association which draws together all local government authorities in Malawi to take action against HIV/AIDS in their respective assemblies and communities and coordinating with other stakeholders in dealing with HIV/AIDS issues in Local Government system. The programme covers:
* Piloting of HIV/aids workplace Programmes in selected local assemblies
* Building institutional capacity of MALGA/AMICAALL Programme for effective coordination and sustainable programme development and implementation.
* Designing and implementing HIV/AIDS workplace programme in local assemblies.
* Enhancing leadership commitment and advocacy skills in fighting HIV/AIDS at local level.
* Strengthening the district monitoring and evaluation of community HIV/AIDS interventions within the districts.
* Promoting the development of IEC materials targeted at BCI within the socio-cultural context of the districts themselves.
* Supporting district multi-sectoral community based responses to the epidemic.
* Strengthening the capacity of local authorities, political leaders and communities to plan and effectively deliver quality HIV/AIDS services at local level.
* Coordinating with other stakeholders in promoting women participation in decision making positions in local governance both at local and national level.
MALGA’S PLANNED ACTIVITIES FOR 2009
The 2009 planned activities for MALGA are driven by a result based management plan introduced in many GDC supported Programmes.
Result-based Management is a comprehensive, life-cycle approach to management that focuses on getting the right early planning, implementing performance measurement, learning and changing, and reporting on performance.
MALGA’s Plan reflects impact, indirect benefits, outcomes and intermediate outcomes, output, activities and inputs of its Development Intervention (DI), namely, “Support to Local Governments to deliver democratically legitimized services”.
In order to effectively service its members, MALGA has developed a service portfolio based on the results of a demand survey questionnaire sent to all LGAs in June 2008.
The service portfolios encompasses the following outputs:
- Consolidated Information Platform
- Legal Services established
- Lobbying mechanism for revised LGA conditions of service put in place.
- Subscription fee structure implemented.
- Capacity building for other stakeholders
The following activities are planned under each output:
- Develop and roll out Knowledge Management and Communication Strategy
- Produce quarterly newsletters
- Launch and disseminate revenue toolkit.
- Launch and manage website
- Launch and manage resource centre
- Conduct LGA rapid demand survey on service portfolios.
- Review MALGA Constitution
- Lobby and market legal services for LGAs
- Establish permanent legal services for LGAs
- Establish and institutionalize legal trainings
LOBBYING MECHANISM FOR REVISED LGA CONDITION OF SERVICE
- Develop a concept for a lobby mechanism
- Sensitize key stakeholders and all LGAs on lobby mechanism
- Implement the mechanism.
- Hold CEAG meeting to validate new subscription structure
- Account for the proceeds in an efficient way
- Coordinate 3 workshops for journalists, 2 workshops for Tutors and 2 workshops for WDC chairpersons
- Attend various representational meetings.